Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pizza Dough

A couple of years ago, I was reading reviews of pizza pans. I didn't really need one, I just happen to enjoy reading reviews of cookware on the market. I know that's a little weird, but we'll still be friends right? I came across an article in the LA Times about Mario Batali's Pizza pan. The article was well written, and it really made me begin to rethink if I needed one. I searched on Amazon, and read all the glowing reviews there. And then one day I was at the Navy exchange, and I saw the pan in real life. I was smitten. We were getting ready to purchase a home, so I practiced restraint, and didn't buy one, but I am embarrassed to admit how many times I walked up to the store with the kids for the sole purpose of looking at that pan. (Again, I know, not normal!) Then Chrsitmas came, and I may, or may not, have posted this on facebook...

"I have been lusting after a very specific pizza pan for months now. I have dreamed about it, drove to the store just to look at it, and planned out all the pizzas I would make on it, should I ever be lucky enough to own one. Earlier this week, Margaret came to visit and brought some Christmas presents. I think I heard angels singing as I opened a big, flat, HEAVY package. Yes, it was the coveted pizza pan....."

It's been well over a year since I received my pizza pan, and I love it a little more everytime I use it. I used to think homemade pizza was a waste of time. I never liked the crust. The time involved was always too lengthy, and calling Papa John's was just so easy. We happen to LOVE pizza at our house, and have Friday night Pizza night almost every week. I no longer order out because I have found a pizza crust recipe that is perfect for our family. We all love it. I can have the pizzas ready in forty five minutes from start to finish, about the same time it takes to get it delivered. We all get to make any kind of pizza we want. And believe me, we have made some pizzas, you won't be finding on the local pizzeria menu! I will be sharing some of our favorites this week. Today though I will focus on the crust.

This recipe came in a booklet with my pizza pan, so all the credit goes to Mario Batali. I made very few changes to his recipe! Why mess with perfection? When I am in a hurry, I turn my oven to the lowest temperature for about five minutes while the dough is kneading, and then turn the oven off. I allow the dough to rise in the slightly warm oven, and it is ready to roll out in about 20-25 minutes. Also, I substitute white grape juice or apple juice for the wine. My kids always make their own pizza, and without fail they all eat a little of the dough. This dough is baked in a VERY hot oven. I preheat the oven with my pizza pan in the oven, so it is screaming hot when I slide the pizza onto it. This makes for a nice crispy crust on the bottom. It only takes 6 minutes to bake, so the top of the dough still has a nice "chew factor".

I got the lovely pizza peel in the picture below for Christmas this year, and it has made the whole process that much easier. The trick is to sprinkle a little cornmeal on the peel. Roll out your dough, or toss it in the air(which I am finally starting to master) until your desired thickness, and then gently place it on the peel. Add whatever toppings you want, and the pizza will slide right off onto the hot pan!



I just realized I wrote a novel. You are a dedicated reader if you made it this far. Now for the recipe!



Pizza Dough

1/4 cup white wine(white grape juice or apple juice)
3/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp salt
3 cups flour

Combine the wine, water, and yeast in mixing bowl. Let sit 3 minutes. Add olive oil, honey, and salt. Add flour and knead 5 minutes. Let rise 45 minutes. Bake at 475 for 6 minutes if using a preheated pan, otherwise increase baking time to 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment