Saturday, March 17, 2012

Garlic Knots

These were so simple to make, and they are quite addictive. I didn't take any photos of the food I made while I had company. I didn't want them to think I was crazy. As soon as I tasted one of these garlic knots, I KNEW I had to share the recipe. I was so glad for an excuse to make these again. A recipe without a picture just doesn't do it for me. Give these a try! Let me know what you think....

On second thought, you might want to make these when there are people around. That way you won't eat ten or twelve and go to bed with a tummy ache.....


Garlic Knots
Dough:
1/4 cup white grape juice
3/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp kosher salt
1 TBSP olive oil
3 cups flour

TOPPING:
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP butter
6 cloves garlic very finely minced
5 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
3 TBSP fresh parsley (or 1 TBSP dried)
1 tsp salt

Combine juice, water, and yeast. Let sit five minutes. Add honey, salt and 1 TBSP olive oil. Add flour and knead 6 minutes. Adding more flour if necessary to form a soft dough that doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place 45 minutes.

Punch down. Roll out to a square approximately 10X16 square. Cut into 3/4 inch strips. Then cut strips in half making around 24 pieces. Tie each piece in a knot and press the two ends together. Let rise 30 minutes.

Bake in a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes until lightly golden brown.

While the bread is baking, prepare the topping. Add the olive oil and butter to a small pan. Over low heat add the minced garlic and let it cook. You don't want the garlic to brown. You just want it to infuse the oil and butter with it's flavor. In a small bowl combine the Parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt.

When the bread is cooked, place the knots in a large bowl. Pour the garlic and oil mixture over the bread. Add the cheese and herb mixture, and toss gently to coat all the knots. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment